The Gambling Authority is a body corporate that has been established in terms of the Gambling Act No 7 of 2012. The Authority is charged with regulating the gambling industry in Botswana.
The Gambling Act, 2012 commenced fully on 1st April, 2016 thus enabling the Gambling Authority to resume its regulatory function. Prior to April 2016, the gambling industry in Botswana was regulated under the Casino and Lotteries and Betting Acts.
Functions of the Gambling Authority
The Gambling Authority is responsible for the general supervision of gambling in Botswana and this includes:
- Regulating and controlling the development of gambling establishments in Botswana;
- Defining areas in which gambling establishments may be established and operated with the approval of the Minister;
- Receiving, considering and deciding on applications for licences, to verify information contained in or submitted therein and to issue, refuse, suspend or revoke licences;
- Receiving, considering and deciding on applications for the transfer of licences;
- Ensuring that sums of money as may be due by licensees are duly paid and accounted for; and
- Ensuring that licensees maintain gambling establishments in respect of which they are licensed, to the standards set out in the Act, thereby ensuring safe and fair gambling throughout Botswana.
A socially responsible gambling regulator of the highest integrity – trusted and recognised locally and internationally.
To effectively and efficiently regulate and control the gambling industry, account for revenue from the industry and contribute to the socio-economic development of Botswana
We uphold the following values:
To achieve this, the Gambling Authority has set out objectives and functions which include;
- Defining the areas in which gambling establishments may be established and operated
- To receive and consider applications for licenses, to verify information contained in applications, and to issue, refuse, suspend, or revoke licenses
- To receive and consider license transfers
- To ensure that such sums of money as may be due by licensees are duly paid and accounted for
- To ensure licensees maintain the gambling establishments in respect of which they are licensed, to the standards set out
- Inspection of gambling establishments to ascertain that the terms and conditions of a license are being observed